Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:01]

ALL RIGHT, GOOD AFTERNOON, GOOD EVENING, GOOD AFTERNOON.

[I. Call to Order and Determination of Quorum]

WELCOME TO OUR FACILITIES MEETING OF OCTOBER THE 12TH.

IT IS NOW 3:56 P.M.

AND I CALL THE MEETING TO ORDER AND HAVE DETERMINED THAT WE HAVE A QUORUM.

MS. HOGAN DO WE HAVE ANY PUBLIC FORUM CARDS? NO, MA'AM. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

WE'LL MOVE ON TO ITEM THREE AND THAT'S OUR SUPERINTENDENT'S MESSAGE.

[III. Superintendent’s Message]

DR. LOPEZ, DO YOU HAVE A WORD? I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU FOR HOSTING THIS MEETING.

IT'S BEEN A GREAT TIME COMING BACK AFTER OUR FALL BREAK, AND I RESERVE TIME TO THE COMMITTEE CHAIR MS. GRIFFIN FOR THE REST OF THE AGENDA ITEMS. ALL RIGHTY. OK, MOVING RIGHT ALONG.

[IV.A. Information Items]

TRUSTEES, LET'S LOOK AT A INFORMATION ITEMS AND WHAT I WANT TO STATE IS ITEMS ONE, TWO AND THREE ARE FOLLOW UPS THAT YOU ASK US TO BRING BACK.

OK? THE FIRST ONE WAS ON THE BOND PRESENTATION AND THERE WAS SOME QUESTION OF NUMBERS AND THERE WAS AN ERROR MADE THE LAST TIME.

AND SO IN THIS ONE, THOSE PROJECT ENHANCEMENTS HAVE BEEN CORRECTED AND UPDATED WITH THE FIGURES. SO UNLESS A BOARD MEMBER HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT, HOW DID THESE LOOK FOR YOU ALL IN TERMS OF UPDATES? MR. GLICK. YES.

THANK YOU, MS. GRIFFIN.

THE NUMBERS WHERE WE SHOW THE ENHANCEMENTS ARE NOW CORRECT.

YES. THEY DON'T, HOWEVER, ARE NOT COORDINATED WITH, I GUESS WE'RE NOT.

WE'LL SEE IT IN.

WHEN WE MOVE TO THE NEXT ITEM.

LET'S SEE. WHEN WE MOVE TO THE WE'LL GO TO THE NEXT ONE, I CAN MAKE IT.

OK, LET'S HOLD THAT.

YEAH, LET'S DECLARE THAT THESE ENHANCEMENTS WERE DONE AND CORRECTED, AND I'D LIKE TO THANK STAFF FOR THAT.

SO THANK YOU ALL FOR DOING THAT.

OK, CAN WE MOVE ON TO TWO TO RECEIVE THE CORRECTIONS FROM THE BOND UPDATE? THAT'S STARTING AT PAGE SEVEN? MR. GLICK YOU SAID YOU HAD SOMETHING ON THIS ONE.

ON PAGE 11 OF THE REPORT WHERE WE SHOW THE. MR. FERNANDEZ YOU CAN TAKE THE MIC.

GO ON. YEAH. WHERE WE SHOW THE NATATORIUM NUMBERS.

SEE, WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THERE WERE TWO DIFFERENT NUMBERS WE HAVE HERE.

SO.

WHAT LINE ARE YOU ON? THIS IS ON LINE 3.08 IN THE BIG PACKAGE.

YES, IT'S ON PAGE 11.

YES. SO WE SHOWED TWENTY FOUR EIGHT NINETY NINE, TWENTY FOUR MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED NINETY NINE THOUSAND. THAT WAS NOT THE ORIGINAL BUDGET NUMBERS.

THE FINAL COST WAS RIGHT ABOUT THIRTY THREE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND.

SO IF YOU GO BACK TO THE REPORT THAT YOU STARTED WITH AND WE SHOW THE NATATORIUM NUMBERS ON THE ENHANCEMENTS, IT SAYS THIRTEEN MILLION THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND.

SO THAT'S REALLY THE CORRECT NUMBER.

SO IF WE WERE GOING TO TRY TO BALANCE THIS, THE NUMBER ON THE ORIGINAL BUDGET SHOULD PROBABLY BE AROUND 20 MILLION.

YOU ADD THE 13 THREE INTO THE ENHANCEMENTS AND THAT GETS YOU TO AROUND THE THIRTY THREE FIVE. SEE, SO AND THEN THE INTERESTING THING ABOUT THIS REPORT ALSO IS WHEN WE WENT TO THE VOTERS IN NOVEMBER OF 2014, THE JACOBS MANAGEMENT FEE WAS NOT AT ALL IN ANY OF OUR BUDGET NUMBERS. THAT'S CORRECT.

YEAH, SO BUT WE SHOW IT HERE IN THE ORIGINAL BUDGET.

SO AND I UNDERSTAND THE DIFFICULTY IN TRYING TO BALANCE SO IN REALITY, THE ENHANCEMENTS NUMBERS PROBABLY SHOULD INCLUDE THE JACOBS FEE BECAUSE THAT WAS ABOUT $14 MILLION DOLLARS AND LATER ON RAISED TO FIFTEEN.

YEAH. BUT I THINK WHEN THEY DID IT, WHEN WE DID THE ENHANCEMENTS, INITIALLY IT WAS LIKE FOR BUILDINGS THAT WERE BUT YEAH, AND I AGREE WITH THAT.

BUT IF WE WANT TO SHOW WHAT WE REALLY WERE ABLE TO AFFORD WITH AND NOT GO OVER WHAT WE PROMISED THE VOTER OF FOUR FIFTY FIVE FIVE? IT WAS REALLY THE TOTAL OF ALMOST FORTY THREE MILLION DOLLARS.

FORTY FOUR MILLION DOLLARS OF EXTRAS THAT WE WERE ABLE TO SAVE AND PAY FOR, INCLUDING THE JACOBS FEE. YEAH. OKAY. SO THE NUMBERS, I THINK WHERE THE ORIGINAL BUDGET NUMBERS CAME FROM IS AFTER

[00:05:07]

THE VOTERS APPROVED THE BOND IN 2014 AND WE ACTUALLY STARTED LOOKING AT EACH OF THE INDIVIDUAL PROJECTS.

AT THAT POINT WE REVISED NUMBERS, THE NUMBERS TO COME UP WITH THAT.

THE OTHER THING THAT I REALLY AM NOT QUITE SURE OF IS, AGAIN, ON PAGE 11, THE LAST LINE ALL THE WAY AT THE BOTTOM, WHICH SAYS SECURITY OF A CURRENT BUDGET OF EIGHT POINT ALMOST EIGHT POINT EIGHT MILLION.

I'M NOT SURE THAT WE REALLY ADDED ANOTHER OVER ALMOST $9 MILLION DOLLARS OF SECURITY AFTER. WHAT WE DID IS WE MOVED SECURITY AWAY FROM JACOBS AND WE WENT THROUGH THE SECURITY COMMITTEE.

BUT I DON'T REALLY BELIEVE WE ADDED THAT TO THE ORIGINAL BUDGET.

THOSE ARE NUMBERS. SO MR. GLICK AND TO HIGHLIGHT YOU ARE CORRECT.

JACOBS WAS GOING TO MANAGE THE SECURITY PORTION OF THE BOND PROGRAM.

WHEN THE BOND PROGRAM PASSED THE DISTRICT DECIDED TO TAKE THAT ON INTERNALLY, AND THOSE NUMBERS WERE PULLED FROM THE PROJECTS OF THE ORIGINAL SCOPE TO THE DISTRICT RUNNING THAT PROJECT. SO YOU ARE CORRECT, IT WAS NOT ADDED SCOPE FOR THE BOND PROGRAM.

ALL RIGHT. WELL, WE JUST LIKE TO JUST THANK THE ADMINISTRATION AND STAFF FOR GETTING THE NUMBERS AS CLOSE TO ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT MR. GLICK. WE'RE GOING TO MOVE ON TO ITEM THREE UNLESS THERE ARE SOME OTHER QUESTIONS MIC] NO. OKAY.

REMEMBER, ON THE PORTABLES THAT BEGAN ON PAGE 14 AND 18, YOU ASKED FOR SOME SUMMARY AND TOTALS AND YOU HAVE THOSE TOTALS BY ELEMENTARY, MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOLS.

SO THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE NOW AND ARE SHOWING.

AND THAT WAS WHAT WAS ASKED FOR.

SO AGAIN, THANKS TO STAFF FOR DOING THAT.

OK, ANY QUESTIONS? YES, MA'AM. ON THE PORTABLES.

I'M TRULY, NOT TRYING TO BEAT THIS TO A DEAD HORSE, BUT IS THERE ANY WAY WE CAN JUST GET? SO THE LAST PIECE OF INFORMATION WAS GREAT.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE NICE TO HAVE HAD THIS IN ADDITION TO IT, BECAUSE WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT THIS, I'M NOW MISSING THE STUDENT COUNT, RIGHT? AND THIS IS JUST STRICTLY PORTABLES.

THAT'S ALL. IS THERE ANY WAY THAT WE COULD JUST GET THOSE TWO PIECES PUT TOGETHER.

THE LAST TIME I THINK THEY WERE TWO.

SO WE CAN WORK ON THAT.

JUST BRING IT ALL TOGETHER AS ONE. YEAH TO SEE IF IT'S READABLE.

SO WE HAD CAPACITY.

WE CAN BRING THAT AS YOU PREFER EITHER BACK.

WE CAN PUT IT IN THE BOARD INSIGHT AND MERGE THEM TWO OR WE CAN BRING IT BACK TO COMMITTEE WHATEVER THE PREFERENCE IS.

JUST SO YOU'RE LOOKING FOR PORTABLES ALONG WITH BUILDING CAPACITY INTO ONE REPORT? YEAH, EXACTLY. BECAUSE WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT THIS, I WAS JUST TRYING IN MY HEAD.

I WAS TRYING TO THINK, YOU KNOW, LIKE, WHAT WAS OUR STUDENT COUNT WITH HOW, YOU KNOW, HOW MANY PORTABLE, YOU KNOW, I WAS JUST TRYING TO DO, BUT I LOST ALL THAT INFORMATION WHEN WE JUST GOT THIS. OK. THAT'S GOOD.

AND I THINK THEY DID WHAT WE ASKED FOR.

WE SAID SUMMARY OF.

SO, OK, SO WE'LL BE MORE SPECIFIC WHEN WE YEAH. AND I'M TOTALLY FINE.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO COME BACK TO THE COMMITTEE.

JUST SOMETHING WHERE I, IF YOU PUT IT IN INSIGHTS ALTOGETHER, IT'S TOTALLY FINE WITH ME.

ALL RIGHT. THANK YOU.

ANYONE ELSE? ALL RIGHT.

LET'S MOVE NOW.

THANK YOU. MR. FERNANDEZ, YOU'RE STILL UP.

LET'S RECEIVE THE SUNNYBROOK LANE SOIL COMPOSITION UPDATE, AND WE'RE ON PAGE 19.

COMMITTEE CHAIR GRIFFIN, MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE, MEMBERS OF THE BOARD, DR.

LOPEZ, WANTED TO GIVE YOU AN UPDATE ON THE SUNNYBROOK PROPERTY.

THE SMALL PIECE OF PROPERTY THAT WE OWN ON SUNNYBROOK LANE, THE EPA HAS COMPLETED ALL OF THE REMEDIATION FOR THAT PROPERTY, AND SO THAT PROPERTY IS NOW CLEAN.

AND SO THEY HAVE COMPLETED ALL OF THEIR WORK ON THAT PROPERTY.

WITHIN BUDGET. THIS IS BEING MANAGED THROUGH THE EPA.

OK, THAT'S FINE.

OK. MR. MILLER, SORRY.

MS. GRIFFIN. YES.

AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME I WOULD RECOMMEND STAFF.

I'D LIKE TO SEE STAFF COME UP WITH A WAY TO DIVEST OURSELVES OF THIS PROPERTY NOW THAT IT'S CLEAN. IF THAT CAN BE DONE OR IF THERE'S A WAITING PERIOD OR WHATEVER NEEDS TO

[00:10:02]

HAPPEN, WHETHER IT'S A BID PROCESS, A PUBLIC NOTICE, WHATEVER THAT IS, BECAUSE THAT'S TRULY PROPERTY THAT WE CANNOT UTILIZE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

SO WHATEVER THAT PLAN WOULD BE.

I'D JUST LIKE TO SEE US HAVE A PLAN FOR THAT.

YES. AND I WOULD GIVE THAT TO DR.

LOPEZ THROUGH LEGAL AND WHATEVER OUR POLICIES PERMIT US TO DO AND KEEP US WITHIN THE LAW.

AND THEN HOWEVER, YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT, YOU CAN BRING IT BACK TO US AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME. IS THAT ANY COMMENTS? ALL RIGHT, GOOD.

NOW LET'S MOVE TO EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.

THE LONG AWAITED ANTICIPATED PRESENTATION ON THE RENOVATION OF THE HARRIS HILL ADMINISTRATION BUILDING UPDATE.

WE'RE ON PAGE 20.

OK, SO WANTED TO GIVE THE BOARD AN UPDATE ON THE STATUS OF THIS PROJECT FROM A FINANCIAL STANDPOINT.

THE PROJECT ITSELF WE HAVE, WE'RE LOOKING AT THE NUMBERS HERE, WE RECEIVED A 90 PERCENT CD, WHICH IS A CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENT ESTIMATE.

THE ESTIMATE THAT WE RECEIVED FOR THE RENOVATIONS WAS NINE POINT FOUR MILLION.

THAT'S CONSTRUCTION COST.

AND WHEN WE LOOK AT OUR OVERALL PERMITTING AND CONTINGENCY THAT'S INCLUDED IN THAT IT IS NINE POINT NINE MILLION.

AND SO WHAT I'VE DONE IS PROVIDED YOU A BUDGET ESTIMATE FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT, NOT JUST THE CONSTRUCTION COSTS, BUT THE DESIGN FEES AND MISCELLANEOUS FEES.

ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ABATEMENT TECHNOLOGY, ANY MOVING THAT WE HAVE TO DO FOR THE PROJECT. THIS IS A TOTAL COST OF THE PROJECT AND THIS IS AT A 90 PERCENT ESTIMATE.

TODAY WE HAVE RECEIVED 100 PERCENT CD DRAWINGS FROM THE ARCHITECT, AND THOSE ESTIMATES ARE BEING THE HUNDRED PERCENT ESTIMATE IS EXPECTED THIS FRIDAY FROM THE THIRD PARTY.

THE ESTIMATES THAT WE ARE RECEIVING ARE ACTUALLY NOT FROM AN ARCHITECTURAL FIRM.

PART OF OUR AGREEMENTS WITH THE ARCHITECTURAL FIRM IS THAT WE WOULD HIRE A THIRD PARTY COMPANY. THE COMPANY THAT'S DOING THE ESTIMATING IS RIDDLE & GOODNIGHT.

THEY ARE A VERY WELL ESTABLISHED FIRM HERE IN THE METROPLEX AREA WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING? SO THE NUMBERS THAT WE SEE HERE ARE ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION COSTS THAT WE'RE SEEING IN THE MARKET IN THE NORTH TEXAS MARKET AS IT EXISTS TODAY.

MS. GRIFFIN, I JUST WANT TO MAKE FOR CLARITY THAT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT RENOVATIONS, WE'RE NOT RENOVATING IN THE TRADITIONAL SENSE WHERE PEOPLE LIKE REDO A KITCHEN AND THEY HAVE UPGRADES. THERE'S THREE FORMS OF BASIC CONSTRUCTION, OF COURSE.

ONE IS YOU BRING IN SOMETHING NEW, THEN YOU YOU CAN REFURBISH AND REBUILD.

BUT THE RENOVATION BECAUSE OF THE WHOLE SYSTEM THAT HAS TO BE DONE.

THE SYSTEM CANNOT WORK ANYMORE.

SO THERE'S A NEW SYSTEM WHICH IS CAUSING US TO TEAR DOWN WALLS AND BUILD NEW WALLS AROUND IT. AND THAT'S KIND OF LIKE WHERE PEOPLE GET CONFUSED ON RENOVATION.

SO I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO THINK LIKE, WOW, THEY'RE RENOVATING HARRIS HILL.

NO. YOU KNOW, IT COMES WITH TEARING OUT THE CEILINGS, THE WALLS AND EVERYTHING THAT HAS TO GO WITH THIS PROJECT.

SO, YOU KNOW, WE HAVE THE NEW CONSTRUCTION GOING IN AND THEN WE HAVE THE RENOVATION AROUND IT. OKAY.

ALL RIGHT. TRUSTEES, YOU ALL HAVE CLARITY ON THAT.

AND LOOKING AT PAGE 21.

DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THESE? THESE ARE PROJECTIONS, ESTIMATES OR.

YES, MA'AM. THIS IS OUR ESTIMATE AT 90 PERCENT ESTIMATE.

SO WE WILL COME BACK TO THE BOARD, THE PROJECT ACTUALLY STATUS OF THE PROJECT.

WE'VE RECEIVED A HUNDRED PERCENT DRAWINGS, EXCUSE ME, A HUNDRED PERCENT CD DOCUMENTATION WORKING WITH OUR PROCUREMENT GROUP.

THE DRAWINGS THEMSELVES, THE SOLICITATION WILL HIT THE STREET THIS WEEK.

AND SO OUR GOAL IS TO RECEIVE PROPOSALS BACK NEXT MONTH AND HOPEFULLY COME BACK TO THE BOARD IN DECEMBER FOR AWARD OF CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT.

TRUSTEES ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS? OH, SORRY, LARRY.

THANK YOU, MS. GRIFFIN. PRIMARILY, THIS WORK IS HVAC.

IS THAT CORRECT? YES, SIR.

PRIMARILY ALL HVAC.

THIS HAS A LOT TO DO WITH, AS DR.

LOPEZ WAS STATING, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE'RE DOING TO NOT TO DELVE TOO MUCH INTO THE

[00:15:06]

SPECIFICS OF THE PROJECT.

WE HAVE AIR HANDLERS UNITS THAT ARE ON THE ROOF.

THOSE UNITS ARE OUTDATED.

THE NEW SYSTEM WILL ACTUALLY PLACE THE UNITS IN THE BUILDING, WHICH IS HOW YOU TYPICALLY DESIGN A BUILDING IN TODAY'S STANDARDS.

YOU WANT TO PUT THE UNITS IN THE BUILDING SO THE UNITS WILL ACTUALLY BE IN THE BUILDING.

THE AIR HANDLERS, IT ALSO REQUIRES US TO BUILD A CHILLER YARD, WHICH IS A NEW BUILDING THAT WILL BE A BUILDING THAT WILL BE JUST WEST OF THIS BUILDING.

ONE OF THE QUESTIONS THAT WAS RAISED WHEN WE SHARED THIS PRIOR WAS THIS NEW BUILDING THAT WE WERE GOING TO ADD FOR THE CHILLER YARD AND THE BOILERS THAT GO THERE.

WE WERE INITIALLY THE ARCHITECT HAD MADE A COMMENT THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE THAT WE WERE PROBABLY GOING TO LOSE SOME PARKING SPACES DURING THAT TIME.

WE'VE BEEN ABLE TO PLACE THAT BUILDING WITHIN THE GREEN SCAPE, WITHIN THE GRASSY AREA SO THAT WE'RE NOT LOSING ANY PARKING FOR THAT SPACE.

I'M NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, BUT IN TERMS OF THE CAPACITY OF THIS BUILDING AND THE USAGE, WHAT WOULD THOSE NUMBERS BE IF YOU KNOW? SO CAPACITY WOULD BE HOW MANY EMPLOYEES WOULD IT HANDLE AND HOW MANY EMPLOYEES ACTUALLY WORK HERE? IT'S A VERY GOOD QUESTION.

TRUSTEE GLICK. WE ARE AS PART OF THE PROJECT.

WE'RE HAVING TO WHAT WE CALL SWING SPACE IS A TERMINOLOGY THAT WE USE A LOT IN CONSTRUCTION IS WHERE WE'RE MOVING PEOPLE FROM ONE LOCATION, SWINGING THEM OUT TO DO THE WORK AND THEN THEY SWING BACK IN.

WE ARE ACTUALLY IN THE PROCESS OF POLLING ALL OF THE DEPARTMENTS THAT RESIDE WITHIN HARRIS HILL.

TODAY WITHIN SKYWARD, THAT NUMBER RUNS AROUND 400.

HOWEVER, THOSE ARE INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE ASSIGNED TO THE ACTUAL BUILDING FROM SKYWARD.

DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN THIS IS WHERE THEY LIVE OR THEY COME EVERY DAY.

SO WE'RE POLLING THE DEPARTMENTS AND WE EXPECT TO HAVE THAT DATA BACK BY THE 21ST, SO THAT WE'LL HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW MANY ACTUAL INDIVIDUALS ARE WITHIN THE BUILDING THAT WE NEED TO PROVIDE SWING SPACE FOR.

BUT TODAY, THE SKYWARD IS SAYING IT'S ROUGHLY SOMEWHERE AROUND 400.

AND SO IN TERMS OF CAPACITY UTILIZATION, IS THERE A LOT OF OPEN SPACE HERE STILL? I HAVEN'T WALKED THE HALLS RECENTLY, SO I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA.

SO WE HAVE MAXIMIZED UTILIZATION OF THE BUILDING WITHIN THIS BOND PROGRAM.

EXCUSE ME, CORRECTION WITHIN THIS PROJECT, LET ME CORRECT MYSELF.

WITHIN THIS PROJECT, WE HAVE MAXIMIZED THE UTILIZATION OF THE BUILDING, PART OF LOOKING AT PLACING THE UNITS WITHIN THE BUILDING.

THERE ARE SIX UNITS THERE ARE SIX LARGE AIR HANDLERS THAT ARE GOING TO BE HERE.

ONE OF THE SPACES THAT WE HAVE IN THE BUILDING AND IT'S BEEN HERE SINCE THE BUILDING WAS BUILT AND SINCE THE DISTRICT ACQUIRED THE BUILDING, IT'S ON THE NORTHWEST CORNER.

WE HAVE A LARGE STORAGE SPACE THAT HAD A RAISED COMPUTER FLOOR, AND THAT SPACE HAS ALWAYS BEEN USED AS STORAGE.

WE ARE CONVERTING THAT INTO A MECHANICAL SPACE FOR THREE OF OUR AIR HANDLERS THAT WILL GO VERY LARGE AIR HANDLERS THAT WILL SUPPORT THE THREE STORY BUILDING.

SUBSEQUENTLY, THE THREE UNITS THAT SUPPORT THE TWO STORY ARE BEING PUT IN THE AREA THAT'S RIGHT ACROSS THE HALL FROM THIS BOARD ROOM HERE.

AND SO WE'RE RELOCATING THAT SPACE THERE.

SO WE'RE DOING SOME RELOCATION OF SOME MINOR RELOCATION OF SOME DEPARTMENTS TO ACCOMMODATE THESE UNITS.

SO AFTER THIS PROJECT, ASSUMING IT'S APPROVED AND COMPLETED, WILL THIS BUILDING SERVE AS A HEADQUARTERS FOR THIS DISTRICT FOR SOME TIME? YES, THAT IS THE CURRENT PLAN AND THE REASON WE'RE RENOVATION HVAC IS THE ORIGINAL FACILITY. AND SO IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO OPERATE CURRENTLY AND LONG TERM IN THE FUTURE, THIS PROJECT IS NEEDED.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

THANK YOU. ANY OTHER? OK, THANK YOU FOR THAT UPDATE AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

I'D LIKE TO MOVE OUT OF ORDER IF YOU WOULD ALLOW ME, SINCE WE'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT HARRIS HILL. I'D LIKE TO AND MR. BLAND IF I COULD DELAY YOUR REPORT JUST FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES.

I'D LIKE TO MOVE TO B FOR ACTION ITEMS SO THAT OUR THOUGHTS ARE ALL TOGETHER ON HARRIS HILL BECAUSE WE HAVE AN ACTION ITEM OUT OF THIS FACILITIES MEETING.

SO IS THAT OK WITH THE MEMBERS OF FACILITIES? OK. ALL RIGHT.

SO MR. GONZALES, IF YOU WOULD GIVE US THE ONE ACTION ITEM OF CONSIDER APPROVAL OF INCREASE FOR

[00:20:06]

ARCHITECTURAL AND RELATED PROFESSIONAL SERVICES FOR NUMBER 916 HARRIS HILL ADMINISTRATION BUILDING RENOVATION PROJECT.

GOOD AFTERNOON.

FACILITIES CHAIR MS. GRIFFIN FACILITIES COMMITTEE BOARD OF TRUSTEES DR.

LOPEZ. I'M HERE THIS AFTERNOON TO REQUEST THE APPROVAL OF CONTRACT 360-21.

CONSIDER APPROVAL OF INCREASE OF ARCHITECTURAL AND RELATED PROFESSIONAL SERVICES FOR ORG 916 HARRIS HILL ADMINISTRATION BUILDING RENOVATION PROJECT.

TRUSTEES, WE HAVE THE INFORMATION, MR. JOHNSON. MADAM CHAIR, I MOVE THAT WE APPROVE THIS ACTION ITEM, B ADDED TO THE AGENDA AT THE NEXT GENERAL BOARD MEETING.

OK, ANY OTHER QUESTIONS ON THIS ONE? THANK YOU SO MUCH.

ALL RIGHT. SO THAT WOULD BE THE ONLY ACTION ITEM THAT WE'RE TAKING FORWARD OUT OF THIS COMMITTEE TO OUR REGULAR BOARD MEETING.

NOW OUR TRUSTEES, WE'RE GOING TO MOVE INTO THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND UPDATE.

IT IS YOUR UPDATED STANDALONE HANDOUT AT YOUR STATIONS, AND MR. BLAND IS GOING TO COME AND TALK TO US ABOUT THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND UPDATE.

WELCOME. GOOD EVENING, COMMITTEE CHAIR GRIFFIN, BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND SUPERINTENDENT DR. LOPEZ.

I AM MICHAEL BLAND, THE DIRECTOR OF INNOVATION, AND I'M HERE TODAY TO GIVE YOU A HIGH LEVEL OVERVIEW OF THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND.

TODAY, WE HAVE A LIST OF TOPICS THAT WILL BE COVERED THROUGHOUT THIS PRESENTATION.

THE LIST OF TOPICS ALL HAVE A SLIDE TO THEM, SO I'LL BE ABLE TO ELABORATE AND GO INTO DETAIL ABOUT SOME OF THESE ITEMS THAT YOU SEE ON THE SCREEN AT THE MOMENT.

GARLAND ISD WAS SELECTED TO JOIN THE SYSTEMS OF GREAT SCHOOLS IN NOVEMBER OF 2020.

SYSTEMS OF GREAT SCHOOLS IS PART OF THE TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY THAT INCLUDES 20 OTHER DISTRICTS THAT ACROSS THE STATE THAT ARE ALSO TAKING PART IN THE SGS.

THIS SLIDE PROVIDES A SUMMARY OF THE SGS STRATEGY FOR INCREASING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT.

ALSO DEVELOPING STRONG CAMPUS CULTURES, AS WELL AS STRATEGIC STAFFING.

THE FINAL SENTENCE REGARDING CREATING HIGH QUALITY BEST FIT SCHOOLS FOR ALL STUDENTS IS THE HEART OF OUR DISCUSSION TODAY.

HIGH QUALITY, BEST FIT SCHOOLS, BY DEFINITION, ARE CAMPUSES THAT HAVE PROGRAMING AND INSTRUCTION THAT HAS A SINGULAR FOCUS LIKE OUR MAGNET CAMPUSES.

OUR CURRENT EARLY COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOLS AND OUR P-TECH PROGRAMS, BEST FIT REFERS TO THE STUDENTS IN A GIVEN COMMUNITY AND THEIR OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A CHOICE TO ACCESS VARIOUS PROGRAMS THAT FIT THEIR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS.

THIS GRANT WILL ALLOW FOR OUR DISTRICT TO ADDRESS INEQUITIES AND DISPROPORTIONALITY IN MANY WAYS. IN GARLAND ISD WE ARE COMMITTED TO ENSURING ALL STUDENTS HAVE ACCESS TO HIGH QUALITY SCHOOLS NEAR THEIR HOMES, FOR EXAMPLE, AND HAVE ACCESS TO A WIDE VARIETY OF OPTIONS THROUGH AN OPEN ENROLLMENT PROCESS.

THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND PROVIDES SUPPORT FROM TEA THROUGH OUR SERVICE PROVIDERS FOR OUR SCHOOLS TO CONSIDER THE MODEL AND THE DESIGN ELEMENTS THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO BEST SUPPORT THEIR COMMUNITIES.

GARLAND ISD PARTICIPATED IN THE COMPETITIVE GRANT PROCESS TO ARTICULATE HOW THE NEW SCHOOLS WILL SUPPORT OUR DISTRICT MISSION AND HOW WE WILL SUCCESSFULLY DESIGN, IMPLEMENT AND SUPPORT THE NEW SCHOOLS.

THE PLANNING PROCESS FOR THESE NEW SCHOOLS IS WHAT WE WILL DISCUSS IN DETAIL AGAIN THIS AFTERNOON. A KEY ELEMENT OF THE NEW SCHOOLS IS A NEARLY YEAR LONG PLANNING PROCESS TO DESIGN MANY ELEMENTS OF THE SCHOOL, WHICH IS CALLED THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN FELLOWSHIP.

THE PRINCIPALS BEGAN THIS FELLOWSHIP LAST MONTH AND WILL CONTINUE TO MEET REGULARLY THROUGH THE SPRING TO DEVELOP, PLAN AND IMPLEMENT A NEW SCHOOL MODEL THAT INCLUDES HIGH QUALITY INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS, FREQUENT TARGETED INTERVENTIONS AND STUDENT DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENTS. THE SCHOOL EMPOWERMENT NETWORK IS OUR SERVICE PROVIDER, AND ALONG WITH TEA AND GARLAND ISD, WE WILL CONDUCT A RIGOROUS REVIEW OF THE SCHOOL DESIGN PLAN TO ENSURE THAT OUR NEW SCHOOL DESIGN PLANS MEETS DISTRICT PRIORITIES.

IT'S POISED TO DELIVER TRANSFORMATIONAL RESULTS FOR STUDENTS AND HAS ADEQUATE RESOURCES, AND FLEXIBILITY IS NECESSARY FOR THE PRINCIPALS TO IMPLEMENT THE NEW SCHOOL MODEL WITH

[00:25:02]

FIDELITY. SO NOW WE'LL TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE PRIORITIZATION OR RECOMMENDATIONS OR HOW WE CAME ABOUT CHOOSING THE SIX CAMPUSES THAT WE CHOSE.

THERE WAS A TWO STEP PROCESS THAT WAS INVOLVED.

THE FIRST STEP WAS TO IDENTIFY SCHOOLS WITH OPPORTUNITIES TO INCREASE THEIR ACADEMIC RESULTS AND MEET THE DISTRICT'S GOALS.

WHILE MANY SCHOOLS SAW A DECLINE IN 2021 PROFICIENCY IN TERMS OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

BY ALSO ANALYZING THE 2019 AND 2020 DATA, WE CAN IDENTIFY COMMUNITIES THAT WOULD BENEFIT FROM HAVING HIGH PERFORMING PROGRAMS AS WELL AS ADMINISTRATORS AND TEACHERS.

THE NEXT STEP WAS TO IDENTIFY ADMINISTRATORS AND PROGRAMS. I'M SORRY ADMINISTRATORS AND ADMINISTRATIVE TEAMS THAT ARE BEST POSITIONED TO UNDERTAKE THIS DESIGN PROCESS TO LAUNCH A NEW SCHOOL.

A CROSS FUNCTIONAL GROUP OF DISTRICT LEADERS HELD SEVERAL WORKING SESSIONS TO REVIEW QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE DATA ABOUT LEADERSHIP TEAMS TO PRIORITIZE THOSE TO LEAD IN THIS EFFORT. PER THE PREVIOUS SLIDE, THERE WAS SEVERAL KEY ATTRIBUTES SHOWN IN WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN WHAT WE CALL A HIGH QUALITY PRINCIPAL, AND THAT CONSISTS OF A PRINCIPAL THAT'S SEEKING TO ENGAGE THEIR COMMUNITY AND CO-CREATING A NEW PROGRAM, A PRINCIPAL THAT'S BOLD AND THAT'S READY TO LEAD AND GO BEYOND BUSINESS AS USUAL.

AND ONE WHO HAS AN INNOVATIVE MINDSET AND HAS EXPERIENCES, POSSIBLY IN IMPLEMENTING NEW SCHOOL DESIGNS OR CREATING THEM.

THERE ARE FOUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND TWO MIDDLE SCHOOLS THAT WE'VE CHOSEN TO SELECT AND TAKE PART IN THE PLANNING PROCESS THIS YEAR AND TO CREATE A NEW SCHOOL PROGRAM WHICH WILL HELP THOSE SCHOOLS AND THOSE COMMUNITIES.

ALL SIX PROGRAMS WILL PHASE IN OVER TIME.

SO IT'S A GRADUAL, PROGRESSION OF GRADE LEVELS THAT WILL TAKE PART IN THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN. THE PRINCIPALS FOR EACH WILL LEAD THEIR REDESIGN WORK FOR THE PLANNING YEAR, WHICH IS THIS SCHOOL YEAR AND THE IMPLEMENTATION YEARS THAT WILL FOLLOW.

GRANT FUNDS WILL BE USED TO SUPPORT ADDITIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT AT SELECTED CAMPUSES DURING THE PLANNING YEAR.

THE FOLLOWING CAMPUSES HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR THIS REDESIGN, AND THAT'S COYLE MIDDLE SCHOOL, LYLES MIDDLE SCHOOL, HANDLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, SOUTHGATE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, CLUB HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND COUCH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

IN ADDITION TO HAVING DIRECT BENEFITS ON THE COMMUNITIES WHERE THE CAMPUSES ARE LOCATED, WE BELIEVE THAT THERE WILL BE ADDITIONAL BENEFITS TO THE OVERALL DISTRICT GIVEN OUR OPEN ENROLLMENT STRATEGY.

WHEN CERTAIN COMMUNITIES HAVE A HIGHER RATE OF STUDENTS ASKING OR SEEKING TO ATTEND OTHER DISTRICT SCHOOLS BECAUSE THEY LACK ACCESS TO PROGRAMING IN THEIR AREA IT'S A DOMINO EFFECT ON STUDENTS ENROLLING AT OTHER SCHOOLS.

BY INCREASING THE ATTRACTIVENESS AND THE STRENGTH OF THE PROGRAMS AT THESE SIX SCHOOLS IT CAN HELP IMPROVE THE IMPACT ON THE WAITLIST, THE ABILITY TO ENROLL AT YOUR CLOSEST OR NEAREST SCHOOL, AS WELL AS TO ATTRACT MORE OPEN ENROLLMENT STUDENTS FROM NEIGHBORING DISTRICTS. THE PLANNING GRANT FOR THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND IS PROVIDING OUR DISTRICT WITH FUNDS TO INVEST IN THE REDESIGN OR THE DESIGN OF A NEW CAMPUS PROGRAM FOR ALL SIX CAMPUSES. EACH SCHOOL WILL RECEIVE TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS THAT CAN BE USED FOR A WIDE RANGE OF INVESTMENTS TO SUPPORT THE SCHOOL DESIGN, MANY OF WHICH ARE LISTED HERE. IN ADDITION, EACH SCHOOL WILL BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR A CONTINUATION GRANT, WHICH TOTALS SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, AND THE FUNDING WILL GO TO SUPPORT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW SCHOOLS OVER THE NEXT TWO YEARS.

DISTRICT LEADERSHIP HAS DEVELOPED A SET OF PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS OR GUARDRAILS THAT WILL PROVIDE THE PRINCIPALS WITH SPECIFIC OPERATING AUTONOMY AND FREEDOMS FOR DESIGNING A NEW SCHOOL. THESE CONSIDERATIONS WILL SUPPORT THEIR DESIGN AND COLLABORATION WITH THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY THROUGHOUT THIS FALL.

THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN PLAN WILL FOCUS ON MEETING THE TEA REQUIREMENTS SET WITHIN THE EFFECTIVE SCHOOLS FRAMEWORK.

USE HIGH QUALITY CURRICULUM IN CREATING A POSITIVE CAMPUS CULTURE AND ALSO THE USE OF STRATEGIC HIRING STRATEGIES.

ALL STAFF WILL REMAIN ON THEIR CAMPUSES THROUGHOUT ALL PHASES OF THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW PROGRAM.

OUR PRINCIPALS HAVE STARTED THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN PLANNING PROCESS THIS FALL.

THERE WILL BE MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE COMMUNITY TO BE INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING PROCESS IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

THE DESIGN WORK HAS STARTED THIS MONTH AND WE'LL CONTINUE TO KEEP YOU UPDATED THROUGH OUR

[00:30:04]

BOARD INSIGHTS. PRINCIPALS WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THEIR SCHOOLS THIS YEAR WHILE PLANNING THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN.

THEY WILL DEVELOP A CLEAR MISSION AND VISION FOR MAINTAINING HIGH ACADEMIC STANDARDS AND A POSITIVE SCHOOL CULTURE.

THE GOAL IS FOR ALL SIX OF OUR CAMPUSES TO BECOME B RATED CAMPUSES WITHIN THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF THE NEW SCHOOL DESIGN PROGRAM.

THIS CONCLUDES THE OVERVIEW OF THE SCHOOL ACTION FUND GRANT PRESENTATION, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION AND AT THIS TIME, ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS? MR. JOHNSON.

HI MR. BLAND. HOW ARE YOU? DOING GOOD, SIR? ALL RIGHT.

I'VE GOT SOME QUESTIONS.

THE SCHOOL EMPOWERMENT NETWORK IS THAT THE ONLY VENDOR THAT THE TEA USES TO SUPPORT THE SYSTEM OF GREAT SCHOOLS? NO, SIR. THERE ARE OTHER VENDORS AS WELL.

HOW DID WE REACH THE CONCLUSION THAT SCHOOL EMPOWERMENT NETWORK WAS THE APPROPRIATE VENDOR FOR THIS PROGRAM? IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT TEA DECIDES WHO THAT PROVIDER WILL BE, AND YOU GET ASSIGNED THE PROVIDER. THAT'S THE QUESTION I HAD.

SO WE HAVE NO INPUT AS TO WHICH VENDOR KIND OF SUPPORTS THIS.

THE WHOLE THING IS CALLED NEW SCHOOL DESIGN.

OBVIOUSLY, THESE AREN'T NEW SCHOOLS.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT KIND OF REINVENTING SCHOOLS, CORRECT? I GUESS THE QUESTION I WOULD HAVE, AND I'M LOOKING AT THE SCHOOL EMPOWERMENT NETWORKS KIND OF MISSION, AND THEY SAY THE FIRST STEP IN THE APPROACH IS TO IDENTIFY AND NAME ENTREPRENEURIAL, PASSIONATE LEADERS TO DESIGN AND LAUNCH NEW SCHOOLS.

WELL, IF WE'RE JUST USING THE SAME PEOPLE THAT EXIST ON THE CAMPUSES TODAY, HOW ARE WE? I MEAN, IT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE MISSING THE FIRST KIND OF TAB OF WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT, WHICH IS KIND OF REINVIGORATING THE DESIGN OF THESE SCHOOLS BY GETTING DIFFERENT LEADERSHIP IN. HOW WOULD YOU COMMENT TO THAT? HE POINTED AT ME.

SO THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION.

WE HAVE GONE THROUGH A RIGOROUS REALIGNMENT OF OUR PRINCIPAL PROFILE, IF YOU MIGHT REMEMBER THREE YEARS AGO, AS WELL AS OUR HIRING PRACTICES TO SCREEN ASSERTIVELY TO BASICALLY IDENTIFY ALL NEW PRINCIPALS AS FITTING THE PROFILE THAT MR. BLAND SHARED EARLIER.

AND SO WE ARE CONFIDENT BECAUSE ALL OF THE PRINCIPALS AT THOSE CAMPUSES, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF COUCH, WE WILL NEED TO REPLACE THAT PRINCIPAL BECAUSE SHE IS RETIRING.

ALL OF THE OTHER PRINCIPALS AT THOSE CAMPUSES WERE HIRED THROUGH THAT RIGOROUS PROCESS AND MET THAT PROFILE AS PART OF THAT RIGOROUS PROCESS.

KIND OF THE NEW GENERATION OF GARLAND PRINCIPALS.

THE SECOND PART TO IT IS THAT WHEN YOU APPLY FOR THESE TYPE OF FUNDS, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. MR. JOHNSON, I WANT TO COMPLIMENT YOU.

THANK YOU FOR SEEING THAT, BUT THEY WANT US TO REORGANIZE ALL OUR SCHOOLS LIKE WE DID WITH ACE. THEY BASICALLY GET A SCHOOL, GET A NEW PRINCIPAL, GET A NEW STAFF, GET A NEW IMAGE AND INSTEAD OF ACE IT LIKE BECAUSE ACE IS ONE OF THE OBJECTIVES THAT YOU CAN, YOU CAN WORK TOWARDS IN THE SGS PROCESS.

BUT ON THIS ONE, WHAT YOU CAN DO IS CREATE A MAGNET PROGRAM WITH ALL OF THESE PEOPLE.

AND SOME OF THE SCHOOLS WHEN WE WORKED WITH ACE AND WE DID LYLES AND HANDLEY, THOSE SCHOOLS WERE REALLY, REALLY A PRIORITY NEED RIGHT THAT NEEDED TO BE RECONFIGURED.

IN OUR CASE NOW THE MAJORITY OF THESE CAMPUSES AREN'T AT THAT POINT, AND THEY RECOGNIZE THAT. SECONDLY, TO GET STAFFING FOR THAT, THEY'RE REALIZING IN THIS SHORTAGE, IT'S VERY, VERY DIFFICULT. SO WHEN WE APPLIED FOR THE GRANT, WE STOOD BY OUR ADMINISTRATOR SAYING, THESE ARE GREAT ADMINISTRATORS THAT FIT THIS PROFILE.

WE DID THIS WORK AHEAD OF TIME LOOKING FOR THESE TYPE OF LEADERS.

SO WITH THE RE-ENERGIZING OF THE SCHOOL AND THE REIMAGING AND PUTTING IN A NEW MAGNET TO SAY, WE SAID WE WEREN'T GOING TO COMPROMISE BY RECONSTITUTING THESE SCHOOLS AND WHEN WE GAVE THEM THOSE PARAMETERS, WE THOUGHT THAT MIGHT GET US OUT.

BUT THEY ACTUALLY LIKED OUR PLAN AND WE ACTUALLY GOT IN ALL SIX.

OK. AND SO I GUESS THE FOLLOW UP WOULD BE TO JUST KIND OF CONFIRM THAT SINCE LYLES AND HANDLEY ARE INCLUDED IN THIS, THAT WOULD BE EFFECTIVELY THE END OF THE ACE PROGRAM IN THE DISTRICT. CORRECT. THAT'S CORRECT, SIR.

[00:35:04]

IS LYLE'S AND HANLEY'S INCLUSION IN THIS BASED UPON A DESIRE TO EXPAND MST OR STEM TYPE MAGNETS TO THAT? OR IS IT BECAUSE EFFECTIVELY THE ACE PROGRAM HAS REACHED ITS NATURAL CONCLUSION? WELL, IT'S BOTH. IT'S EXACTLY BOTH.

ONE IS SUSTAINABILITY.

TWO IF YOU NOTICE THE INCENTIVES TO KEEP THE ACE PROGRAM, ESPECIALLY IN THE BUDGET SHORTFALL THAT WE'RE GOING TO BE FACING, IT MAKES IT DIFFICULT, RIGHT, WITH ALL THOSE STIPENDS, INCENTIVES AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

SO WE KNEW WE HAD TO RE IMAGE THE CAMPUS.

AND THE SECOND THING IS POSSIBLY ONE OF THESE MIDDLE SCHOOLS, OR POSSIBLY BOTH CAN BECOME MST'S BECAUSE WE'RE USING THE COMMUNITY TO HELP DRIVE IT.

BUT A LOT OF MST INTEREST IS IN OUR DISTRICT, AND SO WE DO ENVISION ONE OR EVEN BOTH OF THESE SCHOOLS PROBABLY BEING MSTS AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL.

WELL, IF YOU LOOK AT THE SEN THEIR PROFILE, ALL OF THESE SCHOOLS HAVE LIKE A MISSION LIKE SOMETHING THAT SEPARATES THEM FROM A GENERAL CAMPUS OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE.

I NOTICED AT LEAST ALL THE TESTIMONIALS I'VE SEEN.

SO ARE WE SET THAT STEM MST IS GOING TO BE THAT FOR ALL SIX? OR ARE WE CONSIDERING OTHER TYPE OF SEPARATE MAGNET OR MISSION ISSUES FOR THESE SCHOOLS? SO WITHIN OUR PARAMETERS, OUR GUARDRAILS THAT WE SET FOR OUR PRINCIPALS TO DESIGN CAMPUSES, THAT WAS ONE OF THE MAIN FOCUSES THAT WE, YOU KNOW, REITERATED TO THEM THAT WE WANTED THEM TO BUILD A CAMPUS CENTERED AROUND THAT THEME OF STEM OR STEAM.

AND SO THEY'RE WORKING TOWARDS THAT, BUT IT STILL COULD HAVE A DIFFERENT NAME OR A DIFFERENT SET, OF COURSE OFFERINGS, FOR EXAMPLE, FOR THE MIDDLE SCHOOLS AND EVEN SOME PROGRAMING IN ELEMENTARYS.

DO WE CONTEMPLATE ANY NAME CHANGES FOR THE SCHOOLS THEMSELVES? NO, SIR. ALL RIGHT.

I THINK I'M DONE.

GLICK GO. THANK YOU.

MS. GRIFFIN. WHEN MR. BEACH AND MYSELF WERE ASKED TO MAKE A PRESENTATION TO TEA ABOUT THESE PROGRAMS IT WAS VERY, VERY EXCITING.

AND I GUESS WE'RE NOW GETTING TOWARDS THE END OF THE FIRST STEP.

SO COULD WE GO TO YOUR PAGE THE KEY INSIGHTS SUPPORTING.

YEAH. SO.

WHEN MR. JOHNSON ASKED YOU THE QUESTION ABOUT CHANGING THE NAMES.

THERE WILL BE NO TITLE MAGNET IN THE SCHOOL OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

THERE COULD BE, YOU KNOW, MST AS A LABEL, FOR EXAMPLE, OR STEAM OR STEM ACADEMY OR STEAM ACADEMY, BUT THERE WON'T BE AN ACTUAL CHANGE OF CHANGING OF THE NAME OF THE CAMPUS.

SO THAT WOULD BE PART OF THE TITLE.

SO IT WOULD BE SIMILAR TO WHAT WE HAVE AT BRANDENBURG, FOR EXAMPLE, THE CLASSICAL SCHOOL AT BRANDENBURG, BUT STILL BRANDENBURG MIDDLE SCHOOL.

ONE OF THE ITEMS THAT I GET CALLED ON, PROBABLY MORE THAN ANY, IS THE.

AND DR. LOPEZ AND I HAVE HAD LONG CONVERSATIONS ABOUT THIS WAS THE INABILITY OF FAMILIES TO GET INTO WHAT THEY CONSIDER OUR MAGNET CAMPUSES, WHATEVER THEY ARE, AT ALL DIFFERENT LEVELS. SO WILL THIS BE CREATING MORE MAGNETS THAT WILL OSTENSIBLY COMPETE WITH THE EXISTING MAGNETS? OR WILL THERE BE A TIERED STRUCTURE? RIGHT? DR.

HEMPHILL. I'M SORRY IF YOU DON'T MIND IF YOU CAN KIND OF TALK TO A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT PROCESS THAT WE WENT THROUGH TO SELECT THE CAMPUSES AND WHAT IMPACT IT HAS ON OUR CURRENT PROGRAMING. AND SPECIFICALLY, I MEAN, WE TALK ABOUT THE FACT AT HOW HARD IT IS TO GET INTO AUSTIN ACADEMY WITH THE ACADEMY THERE.

WILL THERE BE? WE HAVE TWO MIDDLE SCHOOLS HERE.

WILL THEY COMPETE? WILL STUDENTS WANT TO SAY, I'M GOING TO THIS ONE AND THIS ONE AND FEEL THEY'RE ON THE SAME LEVEL AS IF THEY WENT TO AUSTIN? THINGS OF THAT NATURE, THAT'S WHAT I'M.

I THINK THAT'S WHAT THE PARENTS WANT TO HEAR ALSO.

YES. SO WHAT WE WANTED TO DO THROUGH THESE PROGRAMS, ESPECIALLY FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE IN STUDENT SERVICES, SEEING HOW MANY STUDENTS WE HAVE ON THE MAGNET WAITING LIST AND IN TURN, HOW MANY WE HAVE ON OUR NEIGHBORHOOD WAITING LIST IS TO CREATE MORE OPTIONS FOR OUR FAMILIES. AND ONE OF THE TERMS THEY OFTEN USE IS QUALITY SEATS.

SO WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE PUTTING MORE QUALITY SEATS IN NEIGHBORHOODS AND GIVING FAMILIES ADDITIONAL OPTIONS.

THE FIRST YEAR, I THINK OUR DISCUSSION HAS BEEN THAT WE WILL NOT FOCUS SO MUCH ON THE MAGNET ASPECT, BUT BUILDING THE CULTURE OR BUILDING THE CLIMATE AND COMMUNITY WITHIN THE

[00:40:01]

NEIGHBORHOOD AND THEN EXPANDING THE PROGRAM TO BECOME A MAGNET THAT WILL COMPETE WITH AN AUSTIN OR BRANDENBURG.

OK. AND THAT'S WHAT DR.

LOPEZ EXPLAINED TO ME, AND I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE FIRST YEAR, WHAT WILL HAPPEN. SO THAT'S NOT THIS YEAR.

THAT'S NEXT. SO EXPLAIN HOW NEXT YEAR WILL LOOK.

SO THE PRINCIPALS ARE STILL DESIGNING EXACTLY HOW THAT WILL LOOK.

BUT WHAT OUR THINKING IS THAT, FOR INSTANCE, AT THE ELEMENTARYS, THEY'RE STARTING WITH PRE-K THROUGH FIRST GRADE.

CORRECT. AND SO THEY HAVE TO BUILD THEIR COMMUNITY.

THEY HAVE TO START BUILDING THEIR BRAND AND THEY'RE GOING TO BE BUILDING THAT AMONG THE COMMUNITY THAT THEY SERVE.

WHAT WE SEE AT MANY OF THE CAMPUSES, WELL, AT THE CAMPUSES THAT WERE SELECTED IS THAT MANY OF THOSE FAMILIES ARE CHOOSING TO GO TO OTHER PROGRAMS INSTEAD OF STAYING AT THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL.

WE WANT TO SHOW THEM AND BUILD WITH THEM A MODEL THAT WILL ENTICE THEM TO STAY BECAUSE WE FEEL LIKE, YOU KNOW, IF YOUR OWN FOLKS ARE CHOOSING THAT CAMPUS, THEY'RE MAKING THAT THEIR FIRST CHOICE, THEN I THINK THAT IT WILL BRING IN OTHER PEOPLE WHO WILL FEEL THE SAME WAY. SO IT'S STARTING WITH BUILDING COMMUNITY, BUILDING THE PRODUCT THERE WITHIN THAT COMMUNITY. AND HOW DO YOU DO THAT? SO WE HAVE SEVERAL THINGS IN STORE.

THE PRINCIPALS THEMSELVES HAVE BEEN PUTTING TOGETHER DIFFERENT COMMUNITY OUTREACH EFFORTS SO THAT THEY WILL BE GOING OUT INTO THEIR COMMUNITY AND BUILDING UP RECRUITING FROM THEIR COMMUNITY. AND ONE OF THE THINGS THAT AT LEAST THAT WE'VE SEEN AT OUR FAMILY ENGAGEMENT PORTION OF THIS IS, IS THAT WE'RE NOT JUST LOOKING AT THE FAMILIES WHO THEY ALREADY HAVE, BUT IN BEING ABLE TO GO INTO THE COMMUNITY AND LOOK AT THOSE FAMILIES WHO SHOULD BE CONSIDERING IT, NOT JUST NEXT YEAR, BUT OVER THE NEXT THREE TO FIVE YEARS.

AND SO STARTING WITH SOME OF THE YOUNGER FAMILIES THAT ARE IN THE COMMUNITIES.

SO THAT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THEY WORKED ON WITH THIS WITH THE SEN.

WILL, TIA PLAY ANY ROLE IN THIS.

SO FOR THAT, I CAN'T DIRECTLY SPEAK TO.

I THINK THAT WOULD SEEM TO BE AN IMPORTANT INGREDIENT, I WOULD HOPE.

SO TIA IS DISTRICT WIDE.

SO TIA WOULD BE INVOLVED IN ANYTHING THAT WE DO AND WE'RE TRYING TO EXPAND IT.

LET ME GO INTO A DEEPER LEVEL HERE.

OK, SO THINK OF NEXT YEAR AS OUR BETA YEAR.

SO OUR TEACHERS ARE BARELY BECOMING ACCUSTOMED TO WHATEVER MAGNET WE ARE DOING, LET'S JUST SAY WE'RE DOING AN ACADEMY STYLE.

ACADEMY STYLE NOW MEANS IB OK AND SAY WE HAVE ONE OF THESE SCHOOLS IB AND THE OTHER ONE M ST. THEY'RE BEING ACCLIMATED.

SO IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A CHOICE THIS YEAR ON OUR CHOICE SYSTEM SAYING YOU'RE GOING TO ACADEMY A, THEY'RE GOING TO GO IN, IT'S GOING TO BE NORMAL NEIGHBORHOOD.

NOW, IF IT'S A SAVVY PERSON AND THEY'RE WATCHING TODAY, THEY'RE GOING TO GO, I'M GOING TO SEND MY KID TO LYLES AND THEY'RE GOING TO GET THE BENEFIT OF BEING A SIXTH GRADER IN THAT SYSTEM, RIGHT? SO WE'RE GOING TO ONLY TRAIN PROBABLY SIXTH GRADE, I BELIEVE, NEXT YEAR, RIGHT? SO THAT'S OUR BETA VERSION.

THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS ARE OUR BETA VERSION.

SO THEN WHEN THEY BECOME SEVENTH GRADERS AND WE HAVE A YEAR UNDER OUR BELT OF KNOWING WHAT'S GOING ON, IT WILL THEN BE A CHOICE.

AND IN THAT CHOICE, THOSE SIXTH GRADERS THAT COME IN WILL HAVE THE BENEFIT NOW OF GETTING A TEACHER THAT'S BEEN TRAINED AND IN THE SYSTEM ONE YEAR.

NOW THIS IS THE TRICKY PART THAT FIRST YEAR SIXTH GRADE, IT'S GOING TO BE TWO ACCOUNTABILITY LEVELS.

SO THEY SPLIT THE ACCOUNTABILITY ON US NOW BECAUSE IT'S A NEW SCHOOL.

IT GETS A NEW NUMBER, RIGHT.

SO IF IT'S LYLES MST, RIGHT, SO IN ESSENCE, WE ARE CHANGING THE NAME BUT NOT CHANGING THE NAME. WE'RE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THE NAME LIKE HOW WE DID WITH ICON AN INNOVATIVE NAME.

IT'S GOING TO JUST HAVE A BRAND TO IT.

OK, SO NOW LYLES MST YOU'RE GOING TO GET YOUR DATA AS BOARD MEMBERS.

YOU'RE GOING TO SAY, WHY DOES LYLES HAVE TWO SCHOOLS? WHAT HAPPENED? WELL, ONE IS THE NEW IMAGE SCHOOL, AND THAT'S GOING TO BE ONE SET OF ACCOUNTABILITY FOR SIXTH GRADE, 7TH AND 8TH IS GOING TO BE WHAT WE KNOW LYLES TODAY.

THEN THE FOLLOWING YEAR, BOOM, IT'S GOING TO BE SIXTH AND SEVENTH GRADE UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM AND ONLY EIGHTH GRADE.

AND THEN THE FINAL YEAR IT'LL BE THE OLD NUMBER FOR LYLES ACCOUNTABILITY WILL BE OUT AND IT'LL BE THE NEW ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THAT SCHOOL.

SAME WILL GO COYLE COUCH AND ALL THE REST.

SO THAT'S WHY THE FIRST YEAR WE'RE PHASING IT IN.

SO I KNOW PROBABLY WE GOT YOU ACCUSTOMED TO MOVING FAST, FAST, FAST, FAST.

THIS ONE IS A LOT SLOWER.

YES, THIS ONE IS MORE TEMPERED ROLLED OUT AND WE WILL SEE ITS EFFECTS WITHIN THE NEXT

[00:45:05]

YEAR OR TWO. YES.

THANK YOU ALL. THANK YOU, MS. GRIFFIN. THANK YOU.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY.

YOU HAVE.

SO WHAT I STRUGGLE WITH, AND MAYBE IT'S JUST I NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT MORE.

HOW DOES THIS RESOLVE SOME OF THE ISSUES THAT WE ALREADY FACE AND THAT IS THAT WE HAVE THE WAITING LISTS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL MAGNET SCHOOLS THAT WE HAVE? ARE WE HOPING THAT OUR PARENTS WILL FOREGO THAT MAGNET SCHOOL AND OPT TO GO TO SOMETHING ELSE? I DON'T.

I FEEL LIKE.

I'M NOT SAYING WE DON'T WANT TO DO THIS, BUT HOW ARE WE SOLVING THE FACT THAT WE'VE ALREADY GOT FAMILIES THAT HAVE ALREADY DECIDED TO PROCEED THROUGH, SAY, THE MONTESSORI SYSTEM? OK, BUT THEY CAN'T GET ALL THEIR KIDS THROUGH THE MONTESSORI SYSTEM BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE FOR THEM OR ALL THOSE KIDS THROUGH THE MUSIC SYSTEM BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE FOR THEM.

HOW ARE WE GOING TO DEAL WITH THAT? BECAUSE IF YOU WANT THAT PARTICULAR MAGNET, I DON'T SEE YOU GOING OFF TO THE STEAM OR THE MST.

SO I'M GOING TO USE MY PARENT HAT TO TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

IF THAT MAKES SENSE. SO WELL, IT'S MY PARENT HAT THAT'S ASKING THE QUESTION.

SO GO RIGHT AHEAD. SO I'M A RESIDENT OF ROWLETT AND MY KIDS HAVE GONE THROUGH THOSE CAMPUSES IN THE ROWLETT AREA, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF WHEN IT'S TIME THEY WERE ALL MAGNET STUDENTS. MY KIDS ARE BOTH MAGNETS STUDENTS, AND THEY NEVER, THEY ONLY WENT TO SCHOOL FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME IN ROWLETT, SO THEY WERE BUSED OVER TO DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE CITY IN GARLAND. SO AS A RESULT OF THIS NEW PROGRAM AT COYLE, FOR EXAMPLE, I USED TO BE A PRINCIPAL THERE. THERE'S A HEAVY INTEREST IN BAND, FOR EXAMPLE, OR FINE ARTS IN GENERAL.

AND SO JUST IF THAT CAMPUS BECOMES AN MST AND THEY ALSO HAVE A BAND PROGRAM AND IT'S ENHANCED, FOR EXAMPLE, THEN I KNOW THAT BASED ON OUR DEMOGRAPHERS REPORT, THERE'S A NUMBER OF KIDS THAT LEAVE THE ROWLETT AREA THAT GO THROUGHOUT GARLAND TO ACCESS WHAT WE WOULD CALL PROGRAMS OR MAGNET CAMPUSES.

AND SO WITH COYLE BEING THERE AS AN ATTRACTIVE, YOU KNOW, OPTION AND HAVING A PROGRAM OF ITS OWN, MORE OF THOSE STUDENTS THAT ARE IN THE ROWLETT AREA WOULD STAY WHERE THEY ARE.

AND THAT WOULD BE OF BENEFIT TO THOSE FAMILIES.

AND SO THAT'S WHERE THE COMMUNITY COMES IN AND THAT'S WHERE THE COMMUNITY TIE COMES IN AS WELL, BECAUSE WE'RE ABLE THEN TO BUILD THIS PROGRAM BASED ON COMMUNITY INPUT.

AND THEN ALSO WE'RE LOOKING LONG TERM, YOU KNOW, THOSE KIDS IN THAT AREA WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS THAT CAMPUS FOR YEARS TO COME AND THOSE OTHER CAMPUSES WON'T HAVE AS LARGE OF A WAITLIST, FOR EXAMPLE.

AND THE SECOND PART I JUST WANTED TO LOOK AT WHEN WE DID PROFILING, I DON'T THINK WE MADE THIS POINT, BUT WE LOOKED FOR CAMPUSES THAT HAD CAPACITY TO ADD STUDENTS.

SO COYLE IS NOT AT CAPACITY.

LYLES IS NOWHERE CLEAR TO CAPACITY, SO IT'S NOT LIKE WE'RE BRINGING IN STUDENTS.

AND THEN WHERE DO THESE STUDENTS GO, RIGHT? WE COULD HAVE. THEORETICALLY, I'M GOING TO USE LYLES AS AN EXAMPLE.

IF LYLES KEPT ALL THEIR STUDENTS AND THEY COULD ADD EASILY, MAYBE THREE HUNDRED AND FOUR HUNDRED MORE AND IN THOSE WALLS? RIGHT. AND BRING THOSE KIDS IN.

NOW THOSE KIDS ARE AT OTHER PLACES, RIGHT? THEY MAY BE AT HUDSON, THEY MAY BE AT SCHRADE.

THEY MIGHT. AND THEN THAT HELPS BALANCE THE SCHOOLS BECAUSE LYLES IS AT A LOWER RATE THAN THOSE SCHOOLS. COYLE IS AT A LOWER RATE, AND IF WE MAGNETIZE IT, IT WILL ALLOW IT TO GROW AND BE AT A HIGHER, SUSTAINABLE THING.

SO THAT'S WHAT WE LOOKED AT.

WE HAD TO LOOK AT CAPACITY AND THOSE SCHOOLS HAVE CAPACITY.

THANK YOU, DR. LOPEZ.

AND I THINK THAT THAT IS VERY KEY INFORMATION.

AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE IF YOU GO BACK TO YOUR SLIDE THAT SAYS NEW SCHOOL MODEL PLANNING CONSIDERATION, LOOK AT THAT FIRST FOCUS THAT SAYS TEAM STEAM/ MST.

SO THE ARTS ARE IN THAT A.

OK, SO FOR PLANNING PURPOSES AND TO GET STARTED, THEY HAD TO CHOOSE A MAGNET CATEGORY. AND REMEMBER, WE ARE GIFTED AND TALENTED.

WE ARE CLASSICAL AND WE'RE MST.

AND I THINK WHAT I'VE HEARD DR.

LOPEZ SAY REPEATEDLY IS THAT WHEN HE HAS TALKED TO PARENTS, IT'S THE MST THAT THEY WERE

[00:50:01]

MOST INTERESTED IN.

BUT IF WE KEEP STEAM IN OUR MIND, WE HAVE SOME ROOM TO ACTUALLY GROW.

AND THEN I WANT TO COMPLIMENT THE INNOVATION TEAM AND DR.

LOPEZ FOR A GO SLOW.

GROW YOUR PROGRAM BECAUSE IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND A WHILE TO UNDERSTAND HOW MAGNETS COME ABOUT, THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT GO INTO THOSE PROGRAMS OTHER THAN HIRING THE STAFF AND GETTING THE KIDS IN THE SEAT.

IF YOU WANT IT TO BE A QUALITY PROGRAM NOW I QUESTION IF SIX IS TOO LARGE, BUT YOU ALL HAVE THE DATA AND I'M SURE YOU'VE LOOKED AT THE DATA.

I'M SURE YOU'VE LOOKED AT EACH SIX OF THESE SCHOOLS DATA ALONG WITH THEIR CAPACITY.

SO I'M GOING TO BE COMFORTABLE FOLLOWING YOUR LEAD ON THIS.

BUT THIS IS A WHOLE NEW JOURNEY THAT WE'RE ENTERING IN, AND THESE SIX ARE IN DIFFERENT LOCALITIES IN THE SCHOOL DISTRICT, ALTHOUGH WE TALK ABOUT ROWLETT.

SOUTHGATE, I MEAN, IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND BEFORE, WHEN WE HAVE BUILT IN PLACE, SOUTHGATE HAS HOUSED, I THINK I GOT THE RIGHT SCHOOL, HAS HOUSED ANOTHER CAMPUS.

AND THEN IF YOU LOOK AT COUCH, YOU KNOW, IT'S OVER A WHOLE OTHER AREA.

SO A LOT OF SOME OF THESE SCHOOLS ARE IN MOBILITY AREAS, TOO.

SO ALTHOUGH WE HAVEN'T ADDRESSED EACH END OF THE ONE HUNDRED MILES OF THE DISTRICT, I THINK WE'VE TAKEN A STAB.

THEY HAVE TAKEN A STAB AT TRYING TO BRING SOMETHING TO US THAT WE CAN SEE THAT ALL THE GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATIONS ARE BEING INCLUDED.

SO THOSE ARE JUST SOME OF MY COMMENTS AND I THINK WHAT I WANT.

MY QUESTION IS LET'S GET WHO'S ON FIRST.

SYSTEM OF GREAT SCHOOLS ARE THEY ON FIRST? AND THEN NSDF ON SECOND.

TELL ME, YOU KNOW, WE HAD THAT REPORT OF HOW WE'RE DOING VERY WELL WRITING THESE GRANTS AND TRYING TO HELP US DEVELOP THESE PROGRAMS. SO ARE WE HAVING TWO PROVIDERS OR IS ONE THE LEAD? ARE WE WORKING COLLABORATIVE? HOW IS THAT PROCESS WORKING? AND I THINK IT'S GREAT THAT WE HAVE TWO DIFFERENT AGENCIES THAT ARE WELL KNOWN THAT CAN HELP US WITH THIS PROCESS, SO IT SHOULD LIMIT SOME OF OUR ERRORS THAT WE WOULD BASICALLY MAKE ON OUR OWN. SO THERE ARE TWO SEPARATE ONES.

OR IS THAT TIERED OR WHAT? SO TEA IS THE GOVERNING BODY, YOU KNOW, THAT SANCTIONS THIS PARTICULAR GRANT AND SO THE.

TEA. TEA. SO TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY.

YES, MA'AM. AND THEN THE SCHOOL EMPOWERMENT NETWORK SERVES ON THEIR BEHALF TO HELP US IMPLEMENT THAT PROGRAM WITH FIDELITY BASED ON WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

SYSTEM OF GREAT SCHOOLS COME IN? SO THAT'S A FRAMEWORK OR A APPROACH TO DEVELOPING THESE CAMPUSES BASED ON BEST PRACTICES . BUT THEY ARE STILL A TEA PROVIDER.

YES. OK. SO ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY IS WE'VE QUALIFIED FOR THESE GRANTS.

WE HAVE WRITTEN PROPOSALS FOR THEM AND THIS IS WHAT WE'VE GOTTEN BACK WITH ASSISTANCE OF THESE THREE AGENCIES.

THE BEAUTY. WHATEVER I MESSED UP THERE YOU CORRECT.

NO MS. GRIFFIN.

YOU NAILED IT. SO THIS IS ALL THE SUPPORT THAT BECAUSE TEA WANTS US TO HAVE TWENTY FIRST CENTURY SCHOOLS TEA WANTS US TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND THEY WANT THIS TO BE, MOST OF ALL, SUSTAINABLE. THAT'S THE KEY S.

WHEN WE APPLIED FOR THE SIX, A LOT OF THE PEOPLE THAT REVIEW OUR GRANT WAS LIKE, WOW.

SIX. THE ONE COMMENT THAT MADE MY DAY.

AND THIS GOES OUT TO THE PEOPLE THAT WORK HERE, THEY SAID IF ANY SCHOOL DISTRICT CAN GET SIX DONE, IT'S THE PEOPLE IN GARLAND ISD AND THEY'RE EXCITED ABOUT US BECAUSE THEY'VE MET AND BEEN AROUND ALL THE DIFFERENT.

AND THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME, PLEASE.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME.

THIS IS ABOUT THEM.

AND THEY'VE WORKED WITH THEM ON OTHER INITIATIVES.

THEY'VE WORKED WITH THEM ON OTHER GRANTS.

THEY'VE SEEN THE WORK AND THEY'RE JUST EXCITED TO SEE HOW WE MOVE FORWARD.

AND WHAT WAS EVEN MORE TELLING IS WHEN WE PUT OUR GUIDELINES, WE SAID WE'RE NOT GOING TO RECONSTITUTE SIX, WE'RE NOT GOING TO DO A, B, C, D AND E.

[00:55:04]

TO THIS POINT, THEY AGREED.

NOW LATER ON. THEY MIGHT SAY, NO, WE GOT TO DO IT AND WE'LL SAY, THEN WE'RE OUT.

WE'RE GOING TO DO IT THE GARLAND WAY, BUT TO WHERE WE'RE AT RIGHT NOW I THINK WHAT WON THE WHOLE STATE OF TEXAS OVER WAS THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ACE AND THAT IT WAS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ACE IMPLEMENTATION THAT ANYBODY'S EVER SEEN.

AND WE DID IT IN RECORD TIME.

BUT WE HIRED THE RIGHT PEOPLE FROM THE PRINCIPALS ON DOWN AND NOW WE SAW THE TURNAROUND IN A QUICK PERIOD OF TIME.

AND THAT'S GREAT. THE ONLY OTHER CAVEAT BECAUSE I AM CONCERNED ABOUT STAFF, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT OVERLOAD.

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT OUR RECOVERY DURING THIS PANDEMIC THAT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE GOING TO BE IN IT FOR A LITTLE WHILE LONGER IS THAT WHEN WE DO THESE THINGS, LET'S JUST APPLY SOME GRACE, YOU KNOW, AND PATIENCE.

AND SO THAT WE'RE NOT OVERWORKING A CERTAIN GROUP OF STAFF BECAUSE WHEN I LOOK AT THESE GRANTS, IT'S THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE WRITING AND PUSHING THESE THINGS THROUGH.

SO AT SOME POINT, EVERYBODY NEEDS A LITTLE BREATHING ROOM AND BE ABLE TO REJUVENATE AND REVIVE THEMSELVES.

THE ONLY OTHER COMMENT I HAVE, AND IT'S A QUESTION WE TALK ABOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND THE COMMUNITY INPUT.

I AM INTERESTED IN KNOWING IF EACH OF THESE SIX CAMPUSES WILL HAVE AN ADVISORY COMMITTEE AND THAT GROUP OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS OR PARENTS, WILL THEY STAY TOGETHER THROUGHOUT THE DURATION OF THE PROCESS OF THE CHANGE OF THAT CAMPUS? AND YOU ALL MAY NOT CAN ANSWER THAT RIGHT NOW, BUT I THINK IT'S SOME BENEFIT IN THAT YOU CAN'T KEEP CHANGING COMMUNITY ADVISORY GROUPS WHEN YOU'RE IN A THREE YEAR, OR FOUR YEAR PROCESS. SO I WOULD THROW THAT OUT TO THE GROUP AND SEE WHAT YOU ALL CAN DO.

MR. SELDERS.

THANK YOU, MS. GRIFFIN. THANK YOU, MR. BLAND FOR THIS PRESENTATION.

I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THE PROSPECTS OF THIS PROGRAM AND IMPLEMENTATION.

YOU KNOW, DR. LOPEZ, YOU TALKED ABOUT THE ACE CAMPUSES AND HOW THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF ATTENTION DRAWN TO THOSE CAMPUSES FOR THE RESULTS THAT THEY PROVIDED.

I GUESS MY QUESTION COMES MORE ALONG THE LINES OF SINCE THERE'S NOT GOING TO BE ANY STAFFING CHANGES AND THERE'S GOING TO BE SORT OF LIKE A COMPLETE SCHOOL REDESIGN.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT BUILDING QUALITY SEATS AND QUALITY PROGRAMS WITH EXISTING STAFF.

WHAT PD HAVE WE ANTICIPATED TO MAKE SURE THAT THAT'S GOING TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN AND BECAUSE THE CODING OF THE SCHOOLS IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT HOW'S THE ACCOUNTABILITY GOING TO SORT OF SHAKE OUT IN TERMS OF EVALUATION AND PROGRESS MONITORING TO SEE THE RESULTS THAT WE EXPECT THEN THE HALF? YEAH. SO THE FIRST TWO YEARS, YOU KNOW, IT'S A SLOW GROWTH MODEL, SO THE CAMPUSES WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE IN TERMS OF NUMBERS, RIGHT? SO THOSE STUDENTS WILL BENEFIT FROM HAVING THE SAME STAFF MEMBERS THERE UNLESS THOSE STAFF MEMBERS LEAVE THEN JUST BASED ON, YOU KNOW, REGULAR ISSUES THAT ADD TO ATTRITION, BUT OTHERWISE THOSE STAFF MEMBERS WILL BE THERE AND THE PRINCIPAL WILL MAKE THIS DETERMINATIONS AS TO HOW THOSE GROUPS OF TEACHERS WILL EITHER STAY AT A CERTAIN GRADE LEVELS OR NOT, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER GIVEN YEAR.

SO IT WON'T DISRUPT THE CAMPUSES TO THAT DEGREE.

AND I THINK THE BEAUTY OF IT IS THE PRINCIPALS KNOW THEIR STAFF.

AND SO THEY ALSO ARE HELPING TO CREATE THE MODEL, WHICH GIVES THEM MORE BUY IN IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE IT'S THEIR PROGRAM AS WELL AS THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE.

AND MS. GRIFFIN ASKED THE QUESTION ABOUT THE COHORTS IN THE COMMITTEES AND WHO STAYS TOGETHER, AND THAT IS THE GOAL FOR THOSE IDENTIFIED INDIVIDUALS THAT ARE ON THOSE COMMITTEES WILL STAY TOGETHER THROUGHOUT THE LIFE OF THAT IMPLEMENTATION.

I MEAN, I'M SORRY THE PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION PHASE.

AND FOR PD THAT WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE SUMMER.

SO THAT THEY HAVE TO ACTUALLY PLAN OUT THE PD BASED ON WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAM THEY DEVELOP.

THANK YOU. YEAH.

CURIOUS IF SOME THINGS THAT I'M READING, I'M CURIOUS ABOUT ONE ON PAGE TWENTY SIX OF THE FUNDING INITIAL ONE YEAR AWARD FOR PLANNING YEAR ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE K FOR PLANNING YEAR. IS THAT FOR ALL SIX CAMPUSES OR IS THAT FOR EACH CAMPUS SEPARATELY? WOULD IT BE ALL SIX CAMPUSES RECEIVE ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE? EACH CAMPUS WILL RECEIVE THEIR OWN ALLOTMENT OF THE FIGURE THAT YOU SEE.

OF 195? YES. GREAT.

AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT POTENTIAL CONTINUATION FUNDS?

[01:00:02]

WHAT IS THAT? SO THEN IN ORDER FOR THE PROGRAM TO CONTINUE AND MOVE FORWARD, THERE'S ANOTHER ALLOTMENT OF MONEY THAT TEA WILL PROVIDE, BUT WE HAVE TO APPLY FOR THAT IN THE SPRING. SO IT'S THE CONTINUATION GRANT.

OKAY, SO THE 195 IS GRANT MONEY, IS THAT CORRECT? CORRECT. FOR EACH CAMPUS? OK. BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS BEEN ONE THAT OF EVEN THOUGH I MEAN, IT'S MONEY THAT'S WE'RE RECEIVING THROUGH GRANTS.

I AM EXCITED ABOUT NEW PROGRAMS AND EVERYTHING ELSE BECAUSE THERE'S I'VE ALWAYS BEEN ONE TOO TO PAY FOR THINGS YOU KNOW, WE MIGHT INSTILL A LOT OF NEW PROGRAMS, BUT WHEN WE DO, SOMETHING ELSE HAS TO GO AWAY.

AND I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN THROW MONEY AT A LOT OF THINGS AND IT'S NOT GOING TO IMPROVE ANYTHING.

AND I'M JUST CURIOUS, JUST LIKE WHAT ROBERT SAID A FEW MINUTES AGO THAT IF YOU MADE A COMMENT OR THERE IS A COMMENT IN HERE ABOUT YOU CAN IMPROVE THAT CAMPUS FROM TO A GRADE LEVEL OF B, AT LEAST IN ONE YEAR OR WHATEVER THE CASE MAY BE.

AND SO I'M JUST CURIOUS, YOU KNOW, BY THROWING MONEY AT IT ARE WE REALLY GOING TO.

HOW DOES THAT IMPROVE STUDENT LEARNING? AND SO THAT IS A CONCERN THAT I HAVE BECAUSE I'M CONCERNED MORE ABOUT THE STUDENTS AND WHERE WE ARE NOW AND WHERE WE WANT TO TAKE THEM TO.

AND SO THAT'S JUST A COMMENT THAT I WANTED TO MAKE THERE.

AND JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE FUNDING, SO THANK YOU.

WHEN WE APPLY FOR THESE GRANTS THERE, THE FUNDING FORMULA COMES BACK TO US.

THAT'S CORRECT BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE SUBMITTED AND OK.

SO.

CAN I ASK ONE OTHER QUESTION? YES. SO I GUESS IT WOULD ALSO BE IMPORTANT, MAYBE TO LOOK AT, I THINK MS. GRIFFIN MADE A POINT ABOUT THIS AWHILE AGO ABOUT ON TRANSPORTATION SIDE.

IF WE WERE ABLE TO GET THOSE STUDENTS BACK IN THE SOUTHGATE AREA OR WHATEVER IN THE COUCH AREA, IF THEY WERE GOING BACK TO THAT HOME SCHOOL.

WE'RE GOING TO BE CUTTING BACK AS FAR AS DISTRICT TRANSPORTATION BECAUSE THEY'LL BE COMING TO THEIR HOME SCHOOL INSTEAD OF GOING ALL OVER OUR DISTRICT TO OTHER CAMPUSES.

IS THAT A FAIR STATEMENT? I WOULD SAY YES, BUT DR.

HEMPHILL JUST BASED ON TRANSPORTATION CAN YOU SPEAK TO THAT IN TERMS OF THE IMPACT THAT IT WOULD HAVE ON THE DISTRICT? YOU KNOW, I KNOW WE PROVIDE A LOT OF PROGRAMS, WHICH IS GREAT.

RIGHT. BUT WITH THOSE PROGRAMS COMES TRANSPORTATION BECAUSE WE'VE GOT TO GET KIDS, WE'VE GOT TO GET THEM TO WHERE THEY WANT TO GO.

AND SO I'M JUST CURIOUS IF THIS IS REALLY GOING TO HELP OUT AS FAR AS THE TRANSPORTATION SIDE. IT DEFINITELY WILL.

SOUTHGATE IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE CAMPUSES THAT WE CONSIDER AN OVERFLOW CAMPUS.

AND SO THAT MEANS THAT ALMOST THE ENTIRE SOUTHERN SECTOR OF OF THE DISTRICT, WHENEVER THEIR CAMPUSES REACH CAPACITY.

LIKE, LET'S SAY, AT TOLER, IF THEY REACH CAPACITY AT A SPECIFIC GRADE LEVEL OR AT COUCH, WE'RE TRANSPORTING KIDS FROM THAT NEIGHBORHOOD ALL THE WAY OVER TO SOUTHGATE.

SOMETIMES THAT CAN BE DONE ON A REGULAR BUS, BUT SOMETIMES THAT HAS TO BE DONE THROUGH A THIRD PARTY AGENCY AND WE PAY PER TRIP FOR THAT TO OCCUR.

AND SO IT CERTAINLY WOULD HELP US TO SAVE FUNDS IF WE'RE ABLE TO ATTRACT FAMILIES TO THE SCHOOLS IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS.

SO COUCH WAS ONE OF THE SCHOOLS THAT I USED IN THAT EXAMPLE.

SO IT IS ONE OF THE SCHOOLS IDENTIFIED WITH THIS GRANT.

IF WE CAN ATTRACT MORE FAMILIES TO STAY AT COUCH, THEN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME, ESPECIALLY IN OUR PLANNING.

IF WE KNOW WE HAVE MORE SEATS THAT WE NEED TO MAKE AVAILABLE THERE, WE CAN DO THAT AND REALLY MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE TAKING CARE OF THE FAMILIES IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD.

HOW MANY STUDENTS CAN THEY HOLD IN THIS PROGRAM AT THOSE PARTICULAR CAMPUSES? DO YOU KNOW.

IT'S BASED ON CAPACITY, AND I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS PROVIDED IN FACILITIES PREVIOUSLY IS THE CAPACITY OF EACH OF THOSE BUILDINGS.

LIKE SIX OR SEVEN HUNDRED PROBABLY.

YES. OK. SO I THINK YOU ALL HAVE THE EXACT CAPACITY AND THEN YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE PERCENTAGE OF THE CAMPUS THAT WE'RE ACTUALLY USING RIGHT NOW.

SO EACH OF THESE CAMPUSES HAS ROOM TO GROW.

YEAH. OK, GOOD. THANK YOU.

MR. GLICK. YEAH. THANK YOU. MS. GRIFFIN.

DR. LOPEZ, YOU MADE A VERY BRIEF REFERENCE TO THE POSSIBILITY I THINK OF EXPANDING IB DOWN TO THE MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL.

I'M NOT SURE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE REFERENCING.

I KNOW WE HAVE THIS VERY SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM OF IB AT GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL, BUT I LEARNED YEARS AGO THAT IB ALSO WAS TAUGHT CAN BE TAUGHT AT THE LOWER GRADES.

SO WHEN WE THINK OF IB THINK OF IT AS A PREMIER GT PROGRAM AND WE HAVE GT CAMPUSES.

AND SO WHAT WE DID IN THE PAST FEW YEARS, WE USED THE MIDDLE YEARS IB.

WE'VE NEVER USED THE MIDDLE YEARS IB SOME PEOPLE, IT AUTOMATICALLY THINKS MIDDLE SCHOOL.

[01:05:01]

IT'S ALSO MIDDLE YEARS IS 9TH AND 10TH.

SO WHAT WE DID WAS WE FIRST SOLIDIFIED 9TH AND 10TH AT GARLAND HIGH, SO WE HAD A TRUE 9 THROUGH 12 IB PROGRAM.

WHAT WE WERE DOING IS A GARLAND ISD IB TYPE OF PROGRAM.

AND THEN WE STARTED THE TRAINING AND ROLLING OUT SLOWLY FOR AN IB PROGRAM MIDDLE YEARS AT AUSTIN ACADEMY.

THESE ACADEMIES, IT'S SUCH A COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM, IT DEALS WITH EVERY ASPECT OF GT NATURALLY. AND SO SOME PARENTS PREFER IT.

THAT'S WHY THEY WANT TO GO.

AND IT SEEMS TO NOW BE GAINING MORE TRACTION BECAUSE OF THE IB FRAMEWORK, WHICH IS TRANSFERABLE EVERYWHERE, DOES NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO GO TO GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL.

SO IF THAT'S WHAT THEY CHOSE, IT WOULD FALL UNDER A STEM PROGRAM, BUT IT WOULDN'T BE FOCUSED ON AN MST TYPE OF THING.

MR. JOHNSON.

REAL BRIEF. OBVIOUSLY, WE'VE SPOKEN A LOT TODAY ABOUT HOW THIS TYPE OF SCHOOL REDESIGN MIGHT INVIGORATE NEIGHBORHOOD CAMPUSES AND SUCH.

HAS THERE BEEN ANY CONSIDERATION GIVEN AS TO WHAT EFFECT THAT MIGHT HAVE ON THE ETHNICITY BANDS AND THE EXISTING COURT ORDER WITH RESPECT TO HAVING A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF NEIGHBORHOOD CHILDREN ATTENDING NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOLS AS OPPOSED TO GOING TO SCHOOLS THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ELSEWHERE IN THE DISTRICT? WELL, ANY TIME WE DO ENROLLMENT DR.

HEMPHILL, THEY DO ENSURE THAT WE FALL WITHIN THE BAND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

SO IT'S NOT LIKE WHEN THEY APPLY, WE REALLY LOOK DEEPLY INTO THAT.

AND WHAT WE NOTICED.

SO. LET ME EXPAND A LITTLE MORE BECAUSE I KNOW WE'RE IN THE WORK AND SOMETIMES WE DON'T COMMUNICATE EVERYTHING THAT WE KNOW.

SO, FOR INSTANCE, A LOT.

[LAUGHTER] DID HE SAY THAT. A LOT OF OUR ROWLETT STUDENTS, WELL, IT'S HARD TO THINK OF EVERYTHING. I DON'T WANT TO GET SO MUCH IN THE WEEDS THAT I TALK ABOUT HOW MAKING A KNOT IS IMPORTANT, RIGHT? BUT ONE OF THE THINGS IS THIS.

LET'S USE WATSON MST.

WATSON MST IS OFF OF DAIRY ROAD.

OK. A NUMBER OF THOSE KIDS THAT GO TO WATSON ARE FROM ROWLETT.

WE CAN ALREADY PROFILE HOW MANY OF THOSE POTENTIALLY WOULD GO TO AN MST IF IT WAS OFFERED IN ROWLETT. WE ALSO GO INTO THE WAITING LIST.

WE KNOW HOW MANY KIDS ARE IN THE WAITING LIST.

WHAT PROFILES? WHO WOULD QUALIFY.

SO WE ALREADY KNOW THE QUALIFICATION NUMBERS, WHO'S ON THE WAITING LISTS, WHO WOULD POTENTIALLY GO IN AND THEN WE KNOW THE POPULATION THAT'S ALREADY THERE.

SO WHEN WE RUN THOSE NUMBERS, I DON'T WANT TO SAY WE'RE EXTREMELY CONFIDENT, BUT WE FEEL WE COULD BE WITHIN THE BAND RADIUS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE EXACTLY, YOU KNOW, AT THIS PERCENTAGE WE HAVE A LITTLE BUFFER.

SO WE DO RUN THOSE ANALYTICS.

SO SINCE YOU BELIEVE BASED ON YOUR PROJECTIONS THAT YOU'D BE WITHIN THE ETHNICITY BANDS, DO YOU BELIEVE THIS IS SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES APPROVAL OF THE MULTIETHNIC COMMITTEE OR NOT? SO THIS, HAS THIS BEEN GONE THROUGH THE MULTIETHNIC COMMITTEE ALREADY? I'M SORRY IT COMES HERE AND THEN IT'LL GO.

YES. IT WILL GO AT THE NEXT MULTIETHNIC COMMITTEE MEETING, WHICH IS NOT THIS COMING MONDAY, BUT THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.

AND SO THEY WILL HEAR THIS PRESENTATION AND BE ABLE TO ASK QUESTIONS AS WELL.

THANK YOU. SO REMEMBER ANYTHING THAT CHANGES THE COMPOSITION OF A SCHOOL, AND I THINK WE HAVE THE SYSTEM DOWN PAT NOW.

I THINK DR. LOPEZ, IS THAT THE BOARD HEARS IT FIRST AND THEN AS THEY PREPARE FOR THE MULTIETHNIC COMMITTEE, THEY TAKE IN ALL OF THE COMMENTS AND ADDITIONS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE AT THIS MEETING FROM BOARD MEMBERS SO THEIR PRESENTATION AT THE MULTIETHNIC SHOULD BE ENHANCED WITH THE QUESTIONS BEING ANSWERED THAT WE HAVE BROUGHT UP IN THIS MEETING SO THAT THEY HAVE A PICTURE OF WHAT STAFF PROPOSED, WHAT BOARD MEMBERS COMMENTED ON, AND THEN NOW IT'S FOR THEM TO COMMENT ON.

DID I GET THAT RIGHT? YES MA'AM.

OK, THANKS. OK.

ANY MORE QUESTIONS? EXCITING TIMES.

SO ALTHOUGH WE'RE NOT BUILDING A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING, WE ARE ACTUALLY BUILDING AND DESIGNING THE INSIDE OF THE SCHOOL.

I GOTCHA. DR.

LOPEZ I GOTCHA. SO DO WE NEED AN EXECUTIVE SESSION?

[01:10:04]

OK, REMEMBER, ONLY ONE ITEM IS MOVING TO A REGULAR BOARD MEETING FOR THAT APPROVAL OF

[IV.B. Action Item]

THAT INCREASE AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

THANK YOU. AND CAN I HAVE A MOTION TO ADJOURN AT 5:06? OK, WE ARE ADJOURNED. THANKS.

OK.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.